With tens of thousands of bargain hunters expected to hit Boxing Day sales tomorrow, police are reminding people to exercise patience amid large crowds and heavy traffic conditions.
Traffic is expected to be affected around all major shopping centres, with heavy foot traffic anticipated in and around complexes. Additionally, with masses of shoppers predicted, pedestrians are urged to remain patient and be aware of those around them.
There are also several other major events occurring such as the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, and Boxing Day at Royal Randwick, with people urged to leave their cars at home.
Motorists are particularly advised to avoid unnecessary travel in Sydney’s CBD, where the following road closures will be in place:
Closures from 1am to 11pm
• Market Street will close from Elizabeth Street to Pitt Street.
• Castlereagh Street will close from King Street to Market Street. Two-way traffic will be managed for access to driveways with entry and exit via King Street only.
• Local access to George Street between King Street and Market Street will be managed via King Street from 1am to 11pm.
Closures from 7am to 11pm
• Market Street will close from Pitt Street to York Street.
• Pitt Street will close north of the Hilton Hotel driveway to Market Street. Two-way traffic will be managed on Pitt Street south of the hotel for access to driveways with entry and exit via Park Street only.
Special event clearways will also be in effect from 1am until 10pm on the eastern side of Elizabeth Street between Hunter Street and Martin Place. Clearways are strict no-parking zones, even for local residents or RMS Mobility Scheme Permit holders. Vehicles left in clearways will be towed and a fee will apply.
Light rail services will also be affected, running between Town Hall and Randwick only.
For up-to-date traffic information, please visit www.livetraffic.com
Commuters are advised plan their trip and visit www.transportnsw.info to keep track of changes to public transport services.