UK diplomats in Canada part of 24hr Global Relay Marathon for COVID-19 support
On Saturday 9th May 2020 British Government staff in diplomatic posts around the world will take part in a live 24hr global relay marathon to raise money for charities on the frontline battling COVID-19.
From Samoa to Vancouver the #diplomile will cover 101 countries over 23 time zones travelling from East to West. More than 3000 UK government staff and their families will run, walk or ride one mile over a 24-hour period creating a global wave that will be shared on social media.
Here in Canada we’re using this event to mark Mental Health Week, with a target to raise $2000 for the Canadian Mental Health Association and Canadian Women’s Foundation.
How will it work?
- UK government staff in Apia, Samoa, will kick off the marathon at 1000 AST on 9th May. Participants will take a picture or video of themselves which will then be shared on social media using #diplomile. The virtual baton will then be passed on via text message to the next participant in Fiji and so it will continue around the world.
- The Canadian leg of the marathon will begin in Ottawa at 0800EST at the British High Commissioners residence. It will then pass through Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, BATUS, the British Army base in Suffield, finally ending in Vancouver at 1700PST
Why are we doing this?
- The Coronavirus has changed lives irrevocably. From social distancing and unemployment to daily updates on those who have died, many are feeling the strain on our mental health.
- Our teams have also been on the frontline, ensuring the safety of British nationals in all corners of the world, and helping the most vulnerable to return home to the UK.
- Research also indicates that women and girls are more vulnerable during this time, with reports on gender based violence on the rise across the country.
- For these reasons and more the UK High Commission in Canada is proud to support this marathon and the important work done by the Canadian Mental Health Association and the Canadian Women’s Foundation.