“Ever since President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and King Abdul Aziz Al Saud first laid the foundation for our ties 75 years ago, Saudi Arabia has been an important partner in this volatile region. The relationship between our people has grown since that time, and it’s distinguished today by deep and steady cooperation between our two nations.”
– Secretary Michael R. Pompeo, October 14, 2020
Secretary Michael R. Pompeo will travel on November 22 to Saudi Arabia where he will meet with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to discuss the strong bilateral security and economic partnership between the United States and Saudi Arabia, progress made under the U.S-Saudi Arabia Strategic Dialogue held last month in Washington, and issues related to Iran’s malign influence in the region.
THE UNITED STATES AND SAUDI ARABIA: A BEDROCK RELATIONSHIP
- For more than 75 years, the United States and Saudi Arabia have built a strong partnership in energy and investment cooperation, trade, counterterrorism, and security.
- In October, the two countries launched a strategic dialogue to advance economic and security objectives through working groups on defense, economics and energy cooperation, and culture and education exchanges.
- The United States recognizes Saudi Arabia’s progress toward transforming its economy under the Vision 2030 plan while emphasizing the importance of continued human rights reform and strengthening of civil society.
ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIPS BUILD PROSPERITY
- The United States and Saudi Arabia support global economic growth and stable energy markets as two of the world’s largest suppliers of oil and gas. Two-way trade of goods and services between Saudi Arabia and the United States totals nearly $40 billion annually and supports some 165,000 American jobs.
- U.S. companies are key investment partners in strategic Saudi industries – not just traditional industries such as oil and gas. AMC opened the first cinema in the country in 35 years. Six Flags signed an agreement to establish the world’s largest theme park near Riyadh.
REGIONAL SECURITY INITIATIVES BRING STABILITY TO THE GULF
- Saudi Arabia is a founding member of the Coalition to Defeat ISIS and assists U.S. efforts to combat al Qa’ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).