Unpaid carers – they’re the unsung heroes who we have yet to applaud, let alone acknowledge throughout this COVID-19 crisis.
This is why National Seniors has released a report into unpaid carers, titled Who cares? Seniors do.
The key findings of the report were:
- Of 4,139 participants aged 50+ in the survey, 22% were providing care to partners, parents and adult children
- They did this, unpaid, out of love
- They spent an average of 26 hours a week caring and some were full-time, 7-days a week
- Over half of these unpaid carers provided high to medium levels of care
- Most did not have care plans nor had they accessed government support
- They had more health problems than others who were not providing care, and
- More practical, psychological and informational support is needed to maintain this essential workforce.
You can read the full report here. [insert link]
You can also read National Seniors’ media release here.