Innisfail police are urging people in the Innisfail area that the local rivers are rising and homes may become inundated as waters continue to rise, Queensland Police say.
The current situation is that the North and South Johnstone Rivers are rising and it is believed this will continue this evening.
Currently, modelling suggests that low lying homes in the Innisfail township near the North Johnston River may be the subject of inundation.
Police are appealing to residence in these areas are advised that the levels are continuing to rise and they should take the following precautions.
• Protect your property if you are willing and able
• Consider the need to re-locate to higher ground if necessary
• Take any medications, documentation, pets and family members with you
• Advise family and friends if you are moving to higher ground and lock up your house
• Listen to instructions given by police and other emergency services
• NEVER drive in flooded waters
• If you need assistance and the matter is urgent or life threatening, ALWAYS call Triple Zero (000)
Police and local authorities are continuing to monitor the situation and officers are on the ground ready to respond.
If you have information for police, contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using the online form 24hrs per day.
You can report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers.