A HISTORIC NEW ERA: President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump congratulate Japan on their new era of Reiwa and look forward to a great friendship and bright future.
- Earlier this month, the Japanese people welcomed the new Imperial Era of “Reiwa,”which means “beautiful harmony.”
- In the spirit of this new era, President Trump recommits the United States to advancing our strong partnership and achieving our shared vision of a free and open Indo-Pacific region.
- Since his election, President Trump has worked with Prime Minister Abe to build a true global partnership centered on robust security, technological advancement, and economic progress.
- Together, the United States and Japan are defending free and open societies while taking steps to further strengthen our nations and achieve true, shared prosperity.
EXPANDING OUR PARTNERSHIP: President Trump is expanding cooperation with Japan and working to address emerging challenges by making our alliance more robust and adaptable.
- President Trump and Prime Minister Abe are working to build a network of alliances and partnerships, anchored by the United States-Japan Alliance.
- Together, we are advancing a rules-based maritime order, improving energy and digital network security, strengthening nuclear security, and boosting natural disaster resiliency.
- The United States and Japan share a vital security partnership, which includes the sale and transfer of defense systems between our two countries.
- Japan is one of the world’s largest purchasers of the American-made F-35 jet and has invested in other United States defense systems.
- The United States is committed to realigning its Armed Forces in Japan to achieve optimal operational readiness, maintain deterrent capabilities, and preserve peace.
- To protect sensitive and vital information, we are strengthening information security practices, and the United States-Japan partnership in digital economy ensures that cyberspace adheres to international laws and norms.
ADVANCING OUR SHARED PROSPERITY: President Trump is committed to achieving fair, balanced, and mutually beneficial trade and investment between the United States and Japan.
- Last fall, President Trump and Prime Minister Abe agreed to enter into negotiations for a United States-Japan Trade Agreement, a process that is currently ongoing.
- Since 2017, we have negotiated numerous beneficial agreements on energy. Both sides are promoting high quality and transparent infrastructure investments worth billions of dollars.
- Additionally, the United States and Japan are cooperating through the Japan-United States Strategic Energy Partnership to grow sustainable and secure energy markets across the world.
- The United States and Japan are cooperating to advance our shared interests in space, including accelerating NASA’s return to the Moon.
- President Trump and Prime Minister Abe are championing young leaders in the region, working to unlock greater private investment for partner countries and combatting corruption worldwide.