Victorians take to new police assistance line and online reporting

The new 24-hour Police Assistance Line and Online Reporting service has taken more than 60,000 crime reports since it launched earlier this year, freeing up frontline police to investigate crimes and undertake positive work in the community.

The most common reports to the services are related to thefts from motor vehicles, burglary, lost property, general theft and property damage.

The Police Assistance Line and Online Reporting service take reports and provide advice to the community at any time on non-urgent crimes and events anywhere in Victoria.

Inspector Steve Towers said the new services were benefitting both the community, and police.

“To have reached nearly 60,000 crime reports, and to have just reached 400,000 calls shows the community is utilising these new convenient services,” Insp Towers said.

“We have seen some sections of the community really benefit from online reporting – small businesses have been utilising the online service to submit reports online relating to property damage and burglaries.”

As we head into Summer, Victoria Police has a reminder for the community about certain reports to submit to the new services, including:

• Absence from Residence registration to make sure the police have this on record, and that your home and community can be safe while you are away

• Register your event with the Partysafe program

• Calling 131 444 or visit to submit a report for any non-urgent crimes & events such as lost or found property

“We know Victorians like to head away or plan parties during the Summer holidays, and there are some simple reports to fill out online to ensure the police have a record of this,” Insp Towers said.

“We also know that the beach is a busy spot for lost or found property, and we want you to remember this can be reported to the Police Assistance Line or online.

“We look forward to continuing these dedicated, 24-hour services and encourage Victorians to continue to report non-urgent crimes and events to the Police Assistance Line or Online Reporting service.”

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.