$250K reward announced after Melton non-fatal shooting

Armed Crime Squad detectives are announcing a $250,000 reward in relation to a non-fatal shooting that occurred in Melton in November 2018.

The victim, aged 42 at the time, was driving two female friends’ home around 12.30am on Friday, 30 November.

After dropping one of the women off in Melton West, several shots were fired from a second car into the victim’s red sedan in the vicinity of Linlithgow Way.

The victim was then followed to Centenary and Coburns roads, where he was shot at again, one of these shots struck the victim in the face.

Shots were also fired into the victim’s vehicle on Linlithgow Way and struck the man driving the car in the head.

His remaining passenger, a 21-year-old woman, was not injured and managed to call triple zero.

The victim sought refuge at a service station in Sherwin Court, Melton and was able to seek medical assistance.

He was conveyed to hospital with serious injuries and remained in an induced coma for several days.

Investigators have been told that the offenders’ vehicle followed the victim’s car for some way and was possibly a white HSV club sport.

A warrant was executed at a property in Melton West on 14 June in relation to the shooting and a 32-year-old man was arrested.

The Melton West man was charged with a range of firearms offences including Prohibited Person Possess Firearm and FPO Subject in Possession of a Firearm, however he was not charged in relation to the shooting.

A second man, aged 30 from Hoppes Crossing was also arrested in relation to the shooting in June last year.

He was interviewed by police however he was released pending further enquires.

Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said we have previously released CCTV footage of this vehicle, which was following the victim’s vehicle for some time,

“We have hit a roadblock in this investigation, and we are hoping this reward will entice someone who has crucial information to come forward and enable us to solve this crime, he said.

“The victim in this matter was millimetres from sustaining fatal wounds and we want to get these people off the streets.

“He is still recovering from his injuries and will continue to do so for some time. We need to find answers for him as there is no reason this man was the target of a shooting.

“It’s also incredibly fortunate that his passenger wasn’t injured and was able to contact emergency services for help.

“We’re very keen to speak to anyone who might have witnessed the incident or the offender’s vehicle on the night, or who may know the identity of the offender/s.”

A reward of up to $250,000 will be paid at the discretion of the Chief Commissioner of Police for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for the armed robbery.

In appropriate cases, the Director of Public Prosecutions may consider, according to established guidelines, the granting of indemnification from prosecution to any person who provides information as to the identity of the principal offender or offenders in this matter.

Any payment of a reward will be subject to the applicant signing a deed of confidentiality prior to payment.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.