4 – 7 December 2018, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Melbourne, Australia
ENCOUNTERING CRIME: DOING JUSTICE.
ANZSOC holds a time-honoured place at the intersection of academic criminology and the many fields it encounters.
The 2018 ANZSOC conference – hosted by Criminology at the University of Melbourne – continues this tradition by inviting and encouraging robust exchange of voices, visions and experiences of crime, criminology, criminal justice and justice more broadly conceived.
This year’s conference theme, ‘Encountering crime, doing justice’, speaks to the many ways researchers and practitioners encounter crime and find ways of doing justice – across time, place and scale – from the everyday to the extraordinary, the interpersonal to the international.
· Professor Michelle Brown, University of Tennessee, USA
· Professor Jeff Ferrell, Texas Christian University, USA, Visiting Professor of Criminology, University of Kent, UK
· Commissioner Jill Gallagher AO, Victorian Treaty Advancement Commissioner
· Deborah Glass OBE, Victorian Ombudsman
· Dr Mary Graham, University of Queensland
· Emeritus Professor Richard Harding, Law School, University of Western Australia
· Professor Joseph Pugliese, Macquarie University
The program will include a wide range of plenary sessions, roundtables and panels. There will also be a number of collaborative conversations between researchers, policy makers, civil society and practitioners in the program.
Key topics to be discussed at the conference include:
· Keynote Address – Criminology Adrift, Professor Jeff Ferrell
· Keynote Address – Doing Justice: Treaty in Victoria, Commissioner Jill Gallagher AO
· Panel, Ethical Tensions in Criminology, Panellists – Professor Joseph Pugliese, Dr Mary Graham, Emeritus Professor Richard Harding, Deborah Glass OBE
· Manus Island Prison Theory, Behrouz Boochani (via skype from Manus Island)
· Keynote Address – Transformative Justice and New Abolition in the United States, Professor Michelle Brown
Conference Website (including full conference program): https://anzsoc2018.com/
Conference Twitter Hashtag: #ANZSOC2018
UniMelb Criminology on