This weekend’s live event is all sold out, but here’s what you can look forward to when TEDxJCUCairns presentations become available online.
From tiny houses to big trauma medicine, and from youth justice to ambidextrous guitar-playing, TEDxJCUCairns will hold its sixth annual event this Saturday (November 9th) at the Cairns Institute in Smithfield.
TEDxJCUCairns convenor Jennifer McHugh says this year’s speakers include a retired Supreme Court Justice, a musician, hospital medical doctor, radio presenter, plant researcher and a teacher.
The theme is Common Ground, inspired by tropical identities and voices from the Cairns region.
“With TEDxJCUCairns, we bring as many interesting and varied thoughts and speakers to the day as we can, while also showcasing and sharing the amazing food, culture and entertainment of our city,” Ms McHugh said.
Under the TED guidelines the live audience is limited to 100 people. If you missed out on tickets, keep in touch with TEDxJCUCairns for details of when the presentations become available online.
This year’s line-up:
The Hon Stanley Jones AO QC, retired supreme court judge. The injustice of youth justice
- Ms Wendy Fox, Teacher. The Teacher I Wish I had
- Professor Darren Crayn, Director, Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Ms Carly Portch, Radio Host Hit FM. Learning to live out loud
- Dr Georgia Babatsikos, Sexual health research and promotions. Hot Sober Sex
- John Butagig (Buttigieg), Musician. Why play only one guitar when two is even better
- Dr Michelle Redman, Public Health Researcher. Can poetry make you healthy?
- Dr Ari Isman, Junior Doctor, Cairns Hospital. Healthcare…from another point of view
- Professor Hurriyet Babacan AM, Professorial Research Fellow. Not leaving the last person behind: Inclusive economic development
- Ms Sophie Barrett, Sustainable Urban Designer. Tiny houses, big houses
- Dr Hayley Letson, Senior Research Fellow. 10 Minutes to save a life
- Yalanji Wulngku Badi Bama, Wujal Wujal singers and entertainers.
About TED:TED is a non-profit organisation devoted to ‘ideas worth spreading’. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world’s leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes or less. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com.
About TEDx:In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organised events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. These are branded TEDx, where x = independently organised TED event.