An algal bloom has been detected in the water of Walkers Lake in Avon Plains.
Community members and their pets are advised to avoid contact with the water at the lake after blue-green algae was found to be present.
Warning signs have been erected at the lake alerting community members of the algal bloom and will be taken down when natural conditions allow the algae naturally dissipate.
Algal blooms are a natural phenomenon in water bodies, making the water appear green as well as often appearing to have scum on the surface of the water.
Blue-green algae has been known to cause skin and eye irritations, nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness or cramps by some people who have swum through algal scum or swallowed it.
There have been no reports of anyone becoming ill after having contact with the water at Walkers Lake in recent times.
Mayor of Northern Grampians Shire Council, Cr Murray Emerson, said people need to pay attention to the warning signs and steer clear of the lake for the time being.
“In the interest of community safety, we ask community members to keep themselves and their furry friends away from the water until the algal bloom has a chance to naturally dissipate,” he said.