Held in lieu of many in-person events, the virtual Navy Week will mark the first time since 2018 that a Navy Week has been held in San Antonio.
The Navy will provide content to the local communities of San Antonio looking for fun and engaging content to include band performances, Navy history reviews relevant to Texas and STEM subjects, which are a part of Navy operations. Navy members will follow all DoD, state, and local guidelines to ensure public safety. Engagements will include in-person events, live events on social media, demonstrations, interviews, and local media coverage of:
- Senior Navy Leadership – Rear Adm. Ted Leclair, director, Maritime Headquarters, U.S. Pacific Fleet, will receive proclamations from San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg as well as enlist several future Sailors from the community into the Navy in front of the Alamo
- Local Sailors – Videos and events with Sailors from the San Antonio area, Navy Talent Acquisition Group-San Antonio, and sailors aboard the USS San Antonio
- Hometown Heroes – Videos featuring San Antonio and Texas natives serving in the Navy around the world
- Navy Band Southeast – Virtual performances, Sailor spotlights, and masterclasses with Navy Musicians
- Naval History and Heritage Command -Educational explorations of San Antonio’s Navy history with Texas artifacts with underwater archaeologists, and interviews with historians
- USS Constitution – Live, virtual tours aboard the oldest commissioned ship in the world
- Navy Parachute Demonstration Team – Conversations and skydiving events with the Leap Frogs
- Many other fun and educational groups and events!
Navy Weeks are a series of outreach events coordinated by the Navy Office of Community Outreach designed to give Americans an opportunity to learn about their Navy, its people and its importance to national security and prosperity. Since 2005, the Navy Week program has served as the Navy’s flagship outreach effort into areas of the country without a significant Navy presence, providing the public a firsthand look at the Navy the nation needs.
San Antonio is the second Navy Week in 2021. By going virtual, the Navy is able to work with its great network of Navy partners to provide opportunities to interact with the Navy in live-streamed events, interviews and videos.
The full schedule of events will be available on https://outreach.navy.mil/Virtual-Outreach/ and https://outreach.navy.mil/Navy-Weeks-2021/San-Antonio/, as well as on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NavyOutreach.
Media organizations wishing to cover San Antonio’s Virtual Navy Week events should contact Mr. Isaiah Sellers at (901) 229-5631 or firstname.lastname@example.org.