Latest recommendation updates:
- ATAGI provided advice on Pfizer boosters for individuals aged 16-17 years.
Recent ATAGI considerations
On Wednesday 2 February 2022, ATAGI met to consider the latest developments relating to COVID-19 immunisation. As at 2 February 2022, over 50 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in Australia. ATAGI encourages anyone aged 16 years and over to receive a booster dose as soon as they are eligible.
Boosters for adolescents aged 16-17 years
ATAGI recommends a booster vaccination with Comirnaty (Pfizer) COVID-19 vaccine, for all adolescents aged 16-17 years who have previously received any TGA approved or recognised vaccines for their primary vaccine schedule. This booster dose is available from 3 months after receiving their last primary dose.
The Pfizer vaccine is the only brand currently registered for use as a booster dose in this age group. ATAGI will update this advice if other vaccines are approved.
Full details of ATAGI’s advice is available.
Upcoming ATAGI considerations
ATAGI is continuing to monitor evidence on the vaccine effectiveness of boosters and national coverage rates.
COVID-19 vaccine safety
Th ATAGI COVID-19 Safety Group will meet again this week to monitor known and emerging serious adverse events following immunisation and other safety issues in the delivery of COVID-19 vaccines. The ATAGI COVID-19 Safety Group provides regular updates to the ATAGI COVID-19 Working Group. The TGA’s Weekly Report provides a detailed breakdown of adverse events following immunisation.
Resources and recent statements
ATAGI recommends review of the following key resources:
- 3 February 2022: ATAGI Statement on booster doses for adolescents 16 to 17 years
- 24 January 2022: ATAGI statement on the use of Novavax COVID-19 vaccine.
- 19 January 2022: Updated ATAGI recommendations on the use of a third primary dose of COVID-19 vaccine in individuals who are severely immunocompromised .
- Clinical Guidance for COVID-19 vaccination providers (new look web version of the clinical guidance).
- 24 December 2021: ATAGI Statement on the Omicron variant of concern and the timing of COVID-19 booster vaccination.
- 10 December 2021: ATAGI recommendations on Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine use in children aged 5 to 11 years.