Battery fire ignites boat fire in Langwarrin

Firefighters responded to a fire that ignited inside the cabin of a parked boat on Bevnol Road in Langwarrin on Monday, 27 July.

Battery fire ignites boat fire in Langwarrin

Photo: Langwarrin Fire Brigade

Three CFA units from Langwarrin and Baxter were paged to the incident at 2.08pm after a neighbour dialled Triple Zero (000).

The eight metre cabin cruiser boat was parked on the nature strip of a property and was emitting heavy smoke when crews arrived.

Langwarrin Firefighter Craig Aiton said two members from Langwarrin and two from Baxter utilised breathing apparatus and made access to extinguish the fire.

“The 12-volt battery inside the boat was being charged by battery charger inside the cabin,” he said.

“The combination of the battery charger sitting on a seat cushion and limited ventilation caused the battery charger to overheat and set fire to the surrounding materials.

“The cabin of the boat contained bedding, pillows and life jackets which were impacted by the fire and added to the intensity of the fire and smoke.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the inside of the boat.

“Due to the quick arrival of CFA firefighters the damage was limited to the front cabin area and the contents,” FF Aiton said.

Photo: Langwarrin Fire Brigade

The incident was listed as under control at 2.21pm and a stop was issued at 2.44pm.

FF Aiton reminded the community to ensure their safety when using electrical equipment.

“Always ensure electrical equipment such as battery chargers are used in a well ventilated area away from flammable materials and in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions,” he said.

Photo: Langwarrin Fire Brigade

/CFA News Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.