Brisbane Broncos update

The National Rugby League (NRL) notes Queensland Police have today confirmed that Brisbane Broncos players have not breached the government’s public health directions after attending a Brisbane Hotel on August 1.

Apollo Protocol experts have determined that players who attended the venue will not be required to enter a “COVID Hold” and can continue to train and play while the NRL investigation continues. As a matter of high caution, all players who attended the venue will undergo a COVID-19 test.

The NRL Integrity Unit is continuing to investigate the actions of players at the Hotel and has been collecting and examining all available evidence.

Acting Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the game was working closely with Queensland authorities to determine if NRL rules had been breached.

“We are conducting a detailed investigation to ensure we have all available evidence before determining the need for sanctions. It is important we have all the facts and evidence before making a decision,” he said.

“Right from the start of this pandemic we have made it clear if protocols are breached players and officials will face strong sanctions. Our actions in recent days have confirmed that.”

Mr Abdo said the biosecurity assessment of the investigation had been finalised.

“Our biosecurity experts have determined the players will not be required to enter a COVID-19 Hold.”

/NRL Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.