Community sport and social clubs impacted by the summer’s devastating Kangaroo Island and Adelaide Hills bushfires can now apply for grants of up to $20,000 from the SA Bushfire Appeal fund.
Until now, the fund had been open to those who lost their homes, livelihoods and loved ones as a result of the bushfires.
So far, more than $4 million from the fund has been awarded to 669 people and households from the affected communities.
Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink urged community organisations to apply for the grants.
“Extending the grants to sporting and social organisations in the affected areas will help with the task of rebuilding our communities impacted by the summer’s devastating bushfires,” said Minister Lensink.
“The Marshall Liberal Government continues to stand shoulder to shoulder with our Kangaroo Island and Adelaide Hills communities following the devastating bushfires this summer – we certainly haven’t forgotten you.
“Organisations including community groups, sport and social cubs play a vital role in our regions and their rebuilding is absolutely crucial.
“Eligible organisations will now be able to seek grants of up to $20,000 to deliver programs that build community strength and resilience in the affected areas, replace damaged or destroyed infrastructure or support new infrastructure.”
Minister Lensink said South Australians had generously donated more than $8 million to the SA Bushfire Appeal fund – and the independent committee continued to distribute funding quickly.
She said it wasn’t too late to apply for funding in other categories.
“People directly affected by the fires in the Adelaide Hills or on Kangaroo Island can still apply to receive financial assistance from this fund – and I really urge people who haven’t come forward to do so,” said Minister Lensink.
The independent committee has so far distributed grants across seven categories, including payments for:
* The immediate families of those who lost their lives in the fires;
* People who have been seriously injured;
* Households whose principal place of residence was destroyed or rendered uninhabitable;
* Property owners who experienced damage to their house or property; and
* Households who operate a registered business and indicate a loss of income from the affected property.
Applications for community groups open today and close at 5pm on Friday, 3 July.
All funds raised in the SA Bushfire Appeal will go directly to the individuals and communities affected by the Cudlee Creek and Kangaroo Island Bushfires.
For more information or to apply for funding, visit www.sa.gov.au/bushfireappeal