CCTV footage released as investigations continue into Doonside murder – Strike Force Brens

Police have released further CCTV footage as they continue to investigate the alleged murder of a teenage boy in Sydney’s west earlier this year.

About 5.40pm on Wednesday 4 August 2021, a teenage boy was found unresponsive with injuries to his head and chest at a home on Perigee Close, Doonside. He was taken to Westmead Hospital, where he later died.

Detectives attached to Blacktown Police Area Command established Strike Force Brens to investigate the boy’s death.

He has been identified as 16-year-old, Jason Galleghan.

Seven people – four boys, aged 14, 15 and two aged 13; a 15-year-old girl; a 19-year-old woman; and a 29-year-old man – have been charged over their alleged roles in the incident. They all remain before the courts.

As inquiries continue, Strike Force Brens investigators have today released new CCTV footage depicting two males walking in the vicinity of the home on Perigee Close, around the time the fatal assault occurred.

The first man depicted in the CCTV is described as being of Pacific Islander/Maori appearance and is seen wearing a black hooded-jumper, black long pants, white sneakers and carrying a drink bottle.

The second man depicted in the CCTV is described as wearing long black pants, a bright red and black hooded-jumper and carrying a black, red and blue item.

Blacktown Police Area Commander, Superintendent Steve Egginton, said Strike Force Brens officers are continuing to explore all lines of inquiry into the alleged murder.

“Strike Force Brens detectives have worked tirelessly to investigate the alleged murder of Jason and will continue to follow all lines of inquiry relating to this matter – leaving no stone unturned,” Supt Egginton said.

“At this point in the investigation, police are particularly interested in speaking with two individuals who may have been walking in the vicinity of the home on Perigee Close, Doonside, around the time of the fatal attack.

“These two men may hold vital information for investigators about the events leading up to Jason’s death on Wednesday 4 August 2021.

“I urge anyone with information, no matter how insignificant you believe it to be, to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers,” Supt Egginton said.

Jason’s mother, Ms Rachel Galleghan, thanked the community and police for their support following Jason’s death.

“This is still something that I can’t believe has happened, I’m still coming to terms with the fact that I will never see my precious son Jason again, and that his life was taken at the age of 16,” Ms Galleghan said.

“Jason was such a kind person with a happy spirit; he was loving and generous and helpful to his sisters and to his family and friends.

“It is just so utterly devastating and heartbreaking that his future has been taken away from him.

“We have all lost the biggest part of us that can never be replaced, and I would like to ask that the community please continue their support to fight for Jason so that justice is served,” Ms Galleghan said.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Blacktown Police Station on (02) 9671 9199.

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Brens investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.