Despite the COVID-19 pandemic the City of Greater Bendigo is continuing to undertake projects to improve community buildings and facilities, and keep local contractors working.
City Presentation and Assets Director Debbie Wood said a number of projects were currently underway with sub-contractor numbers being monitored and managed on site in line with COVID-19 requirements.
“It’s important for the City to continue on with this work while the community is not using these buildings, as the work can be carried out safely without causing any disruption,” Ms Wood said.
“It’s also important that we continue to maintain and improve City assets and we are working hard with local contractors to achieve this in the safest way possible by practicing safe distancing and good hygiene.
“There is a good mix of minor and major works currently underway that will provide long lasting benefits to the wider community when we return to normal times.
“Construction works on the new Kangaroo Flat Library building in Lockwood Road are progressing well with installation of new windows nearing completion, the installation of a new roof underway and works to line the internal walls due to commence.
“Work is also continuing to refurbish the exterior of the Bendigo Town Hall.”
- Replacement of the slate roof at the Capital Theatre, View Street in mid-April
- Installation of new epoxy flooring in the entry foyer of the Changing Place, Hargreaves Street
- Completion of construction of the new Huntly Early Learning Centre
- Renewal of concrete paving and soft landscaping at the Strathfieldsaye Sports Club precinct, Club Court
- External painting at the Helen Jessen Early Learning Centre
- Kitchen and storage upgrade at the South Bendigo Kindergarten, including installation of new vinyl flooring to the main play space and storage area, installation of new heavy-duty shelving and painting of internal walls
- Renewal of the toilet and amenity area at Neangar Kindergarten, including installation of an additional toilet. New joinery has been installed, including 33 new lockers to cater for increased enrolments. All internal walls will also be repaired and repainted
- Removal of old and construction of a new cubby house at White Hills Preschool
- Internal painting and cabinetry at Bendigo Preschool
- Rebuild of existing ramp at the Bendigo Soldiers’ Memorial Institute in Pall Mall to meet DDA standards
- Floor resurfacing at Peter Krenz Leisure Centre