Willoughby City Council accelerates emission targets by joining Cities Race to Zero
Last night, Council joined cities, businesses and investors around the world by endorsing its commitment to Cities Race to Zero, a global campaign of the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference to commit to meeting the targets of the Paris Agreement. In doing so it accelarated its own greenhouse gas emission targets, demonstrating its commitment to the pledge and to steering the community towards a greener future.
Adopted in 2019, Council’s Our Green City Plan 2028 outlines significant targets in line with the Paris Agreement. By endorsing the new targets, Council commits to the following:
- Our operations will achieve net zero emissions by 2025
- 100 per cent renewable energy target by 2022 for Council operations
- By 2023 our community will achieve a 200 per cent increase in solar PV capacity compared with
- 2017/18 By 2028 our community will emit at least 50 per cent less GHG emission compared with 2008/09
- Our community will achieve net zero emission in the 2040s or sooner
Council is already on track to be 100% renewable by 2022 and net-zero emissions by 2025. Measures such as expanding our rooftop solar PV capacity, degasifying the Willoughby Leisure Centre and increasing the uptake of electric vehicles, trucks and equipment, offer us a clear pathway to achieving net zero emissions by 2025 at no extra cost to the ratepayer.
We encourage the reduction of community emissions through programs such as the solar bulk buy, commercial solar program, EV charging network and a broad range of education programs. It is proposed to continue these programs to support the community achieving its targets.
By joining the Cities Race to Zero, Council pledges to:
1. Publicly endorse the following principles:
We recognise the global climate emergency
We are committed to keeping global heating below the 1.5° Celsius goal of the Paris Agreement
We are committed to putting inclusive climate action at the centre of all decision-making, to create thriving and equitable communities for everyone
We invite our partners to join us in recognising the global climate emergency and help us deliver on
2. Pledge to reach net-zero in the 2040s or sooner
3. In advance of COP26, explain what steps will be taken toward achieving net zero.
4. Immediately proceed at least one climate action as listed that will help place Willoughby City on a resilient pathway consistent with the 1.5° Celsius objective of the Paris Agreement and begin implementation no later than 2022
5. Report annually, beginning no later than 2022 to your usual or the recommended reporting platform