Detectives have released CCTV vision and are appealing for information from the community as investigations into an alleged kidnapping and serious assault continue.
About 11.20pm on Thursday 31 October 2019, a 28-year-old man was confronted by three men – two armed with firearms – outside a home on Cooper Street, Yagoona.
Following a brief altercation, the man was shot in the shoulder and forced into a white Holden Commodore.
Police have been told the man was bound, repeatedly assaulted and shot for a second time in the knee by the men, while being held in the vehicle.
The man was then dragged from the Commodore and left injured in McPherson Lane, Carlton, before being found by emergency services just after midnight (Friday 1 November 2019).
He was taken to St George Hospital in a critical condition; however, he has since been released.
About 12.20am the same day, police were called to a car fire on Massey Street, Carlton. The burnt-out vehicle has since been identified as a white Holden Commodore.
Detectives from the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad established Strike Force Keperra to investigate the incident which is believed to be targeted.
Investigators also uncovered information that the incident was linked to an alleged staged motor vehicle crash – where the 27-year-old driver of a truck deliberately crashed into a parked car on Cooper Street, Yagoona – about 7.30pm on Wednesday 30 October 2019.
No one was injured during the incident.
So far during the investigation, officers have charged two men, aged 27 and 28.
The younger man was charged with eight offences including passenger not disclose driver’s/other passenger’s identity, accessory before the fact to take person intend commit serious indictable offence, obtain or attempt-prohibited drug by false representation (x5) and possess prohibited drug.
He was refused bail to appear at Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday 1 February 2020, where he was formally refused bail to next appear at Central Local Court on Tuesday 12 May 2020.
The older man was charged with do act intending to pervert the course of justice, possess or use a prohibited weapon without permission (x3) and possess prohibited drug.
He was granted conditional bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday 7 July 2020.
As inquiries continue, detectives have released CCTV vision of four men and are appealing for anyone with information about their identities to come forward.
The men are all depicted as being of a medium to large build, wearing light coloured t-shirts, long pants and sneakers.
Police have also released an image of a vehicle – a white 2011 Toyota HiAce van – which was also involved in the incident.
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Grant Taylor, urged anyone in the community with information about the incident to come forward.
“As inquiries into this kidnapping continue – we are asking the public to examine this footage carefully to help investigators identify these four men,” Det A/Supt Taylor said.
“This was an extremely violent crime that took place across Sydney and left a man with life-threatening injuries.
“The footage depicts four men walking along a suburban street in Beverley Park in the hours following the kidnapping and subsequent dumping of the victim.
“While one vehicle suspected of being involved in the kidnapping was later destroyed, we have information to suggest a white Toyota HiAce van with NSW registration ‘EBB98Z’ was also involved.
“We are appealing for anyone with information as to that vehicles current whereabouts, to come forward,” Det A/Supt Taylor said.
Investigations under Strike Force Keperra are continuing.
Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Keperra detectives to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/ . Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our social media pages.