A disqualified driver will face court today charged after allegedly assaulting a police officer in the Lake Illawarra area.
Just before 1.30pm yesterday (Wednesday 7 August 2019), officers from Traffic and Highway Patrol Command were patrolling the Berkeley area, when they saw a motorcycle, that had been reported stolen, turn into Barnes Street.
The motorcycle stopped outside a home in Massey Street and officers spoke to the rider, a 36-year-old man.
During the arrest, the man is alleged to have assaulted a male senior constable on several occasions.
Officers located and seized capsicum spray during a search of the man’s backpack.
He was arrested and taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station, where he was charged with seven offences, including:
- assault officer in execution of duty,
- drive motor vehicle during disqualification period,
- resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty,
- use prohibited weapon contrary to prohibition order,
- possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit,
- take and drive conveyance without consent of owner, and
- refuse or fail to submit to oral fluid test.
It will be alleged in court that the motorcycle was stolen from a home in East Corrimal in May 2019.
The man was refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court today (Thursday 8 August 2019).