Expressions of Interest are sought from interested people for the position of independent Chairperson of the State Fire Management Council (SFMC).
The State Fire Management Council is an independently chaired body established under Section 14 of the Fire Service Act 1979.
The State Fire Management Council’s mission is to enhance the efficient management of bushfire related risk in Tasmania in order to protect life, property, and significant community values. This is achieved through implementing strategies and policy that help plan for and deliver vegetation fire management programs and activities.
The State Fire Management Council has the following functions:
- to develop a State vegetation fire management policy to be used as the basis for all fire management planning in Tasmania;
- to advise and report regularly to the Minister on such matters relating to the administration of the Act, as it applies to vegetation fire management, as referred to it by the Minister and on such matters concerning vegetation fire management as, in the opinion of the Council, should be brought to the attention of the Minister;
- to advise the State Fire Commission (the Commission) on such matters relating to the prevention and extinguishment of vegetation fires as are referred to it by the Commission or land managers and on such other matters as, in the opinion of the Council, should be brought to the attention of the Commission;
- to perform such other functions relating to the prevention or extinguishment of vegetation fires as the Minister may direct;
- to provide an annual report to the Minister on its activities, for inclusion in the annual report of the Commission.
The State Fire Management Council reports to the Minister for Police, Fire and Emergency Management.
The Minister for Police, Fire and Emergency Management is seeking an independent Chairperson for the State Fire Management Council. The successful applicant will be nominated by the Minister and appointed by the Governor-in-Council.
The Chair is the public advocate for the State Fire Management Council. The Chair’s role and responsibilities include: Be the first point of contact and the ‘public voice’ of the State Fire Management Council, including representation in the media, focus the State Fire Management Council on achieving its functions; report to the Minister on the activities of the State Fire Management Council; Undertake public duties on behalf of the State Fire Management Council; Lead State Fire Management Council meetings; Undertake consultation or briefings as required on behalf of the State Fire Management Council; and provide advice to the Minister.
Applicants must provide a statement that outlines their suitability for the role and a copy of their current Curriculum Vitae or Resume. The appointment will be for three years on a part-time basis with remuneration of $35,000 per annum. In addition, allowances will be paid by way of reimbursement of reasonable, actual out-of-pocket expenses incurred in carrying out the business of the State Fire Management Council.
Further information regarding the role can be obtained from the Secretary of the Department of Police, Fire and Emergency Management, Mr Darren Hine at 6173 2247 or via email to Ms Emma Ford, Executive Assistant to the Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted to: the Office of the Secretary, Department of Police, Fire and Emergency Management, GPO Box 308, Hobart, Tasmania, 7001 or email to: email@example.com by 5.00pm, Wednesday 9 June 2021.