Sarah Courtney,Minister for Health
It will be lights, cameras, action, in the RHH’s new operating precinct as perioperative services go live in K-Block from today.
K-Block’s five new operating theatres, procedure room and angiography and cardio catheterisation lab will open, increasing the operating theatre capacity to 14 theatres.
This is one of the most important additions to the RHH as staff adjust and familiarise with the new infrastructure, including modern equipment and architecturally designed areas.
The precinct includes dedicated orthopaedic, trauma and neurosurgery theatres.
Clinicians will have access to advanced images or imaging information on-screen, in the theatre, real-time.
New audio-visual equipment not previously available at the RHH will bring high-resolution imaging information into theatres like x-rays, CTs, and imagery from angiography and the cardiac catheter labs.
K-Block’s angiography and cardiac catheterisation procedural suites have state-of-the-art imaging technology that will improve the quality of imaging and new x-ray technology and will be safer for patients and staff.
Patients will experience minimally invasive interventions and get clinical treatment faster with procedural suites co-located with operating theatres on level 4 of the new inpatient facility.
The new precinct across level four of A, C, D and K-Blocks has modern facilities including:
- 14-bay holding bays where patients await surgery
- 25 Post-Anaesthetic Care Unit (PACU) recovery bays including three isolation bays where patients are monitored immediately after surgery and are transferred to an inpatient ward or Short Stay Suite (SSS)
- New areas to support extended recovery and faster discharge where patients complete their recovery and are assessed for discharge on the day
This will allow patients access to the best possible care available as we continue our recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Theatres rely on large quantities of equipment and consumables and the precinct includes a very large sterile stock room for this purpose.
The operating theatres are supported by the Central Sterilising Department (CSD) on level 5 with its state-of-the-art loan equipment room, electronic instrument tracker and robot that will take instrument trays to the steriliser.
- 16 June 2020 K4W PACU (Recovery)
- 17 June 2020 CSD and Holding Bay
- 18 June 2020 K4E Theatres – first orthopaedic operation scheduled in K-Block, theatre 14
- 23 June 2020 K4E Theatres – second theatre to be commissioned, theatre 12 K4W SSS
- 29 June 2020 Cardiac cath lab
- Early July 2020 Angiography suite and all theatres commissioned
The schedule is subject to change based on COVID-19 and operational commissioning priorities.
I would like to thank all staff for their hard work in continuing to help make this amazing facility fully operational, which will deliver better outcomes and support for patients.