Fourth person charged over assaults and robberies across Sydney, NSW

A fourth person has been charged over his alleged role in a series of assaults and robberies across the Sydney Metropolitan area last month, NSW Police say.

About 2.25am Tuesday 17 October 2017, a 39-year-old man was approached by three males in Anderson Street, Parramatta, and allegedly hit in the head, which knocked him to the ground.

The man’s laptop, watch, mobile phone and personal items were stolen before the group fled in a white Ford Focus.

About 3.10am, two women and a man were approached by a group of males on Park Street, between Elizabeth and College Streets, Sydney, and were allegedly threatened before being robbed of handbags, mobile phones and passports.

The next incident occurred about 3.20am in Elizabeth Street near Cleveland Street, Surry Hills, when a man from Germany was approached by a group of males and allegedly hit in the face with a golf club and robbed.

A short time later, an employee at a convenience store in Glebe Point Road, Glebe, was allegedly threatened by three males – armed with a machete and a hammer – who stole cash and cigarettes before fleeing in a white Ford Focus.

A description of a vehicle was circulated via Police Radio and a short time later, the Ford Focus was seen on Parramatta Road by general duties officers attached to Sydney City Local Area Command.

Officers initiated a pursuit; however, it was terminated at Homebush West because of safety concerns.

Police later located the white Ford Focus – which had been stolen the previous evening – burnt-out at Bidwill.

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad established Strike Force Wavelet to investigate the incidents.

As a result of extensive investigations, three teenage boys were arrested and charged on Thursday 2 November 2017. They remain before the courts.

Following further inquiries, Strike Force Wavelet investigators arrested an 18-year-old man at Parramatta Police Station last Friday (10 November 2017).

The Northmead man was charged with five counts of robbery armed with offensive weapon, robbery in company cause wounding/grievous bodily harm, and be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner

He was refused bail and appeared at Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday (11 November 2017), where he was formally refused bail to reappear at Central Local Court on Wednesday (15 November 2017).

Investigations under Strike Force Wavelet are continuing, and further arrests are expected.

Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Wavelet investigators to call Crime Stoppers.

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length.