The Palaszczuk Government is calling on Queenslanders to have their say on how to prevent sexual violence, with public consultation opening today online and the first of a series of local forums on Friday March 29.
Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence Di Farmer said the information provided by Queenslanders would be used to help develop a Sexual Violence Prevention Framework for Queensland.
“Sexual violence is never okay, and it shouldn’t happen to anyone. But sadly, we know many people are affected by sexual violence, especially women and girls,” Ms Farmer said.
“We are absolutely determined to do everything we can to prevent sexual violence, and to provide the support that victims and survivors need to be able to move past their experiences when they’re ready.
“That’s why we’re developing this Sexual Violence Prevention Framework, but to make sure it’s effective and does what we need it to do, we need to hear from everyone.
“Sometimes the people who can tell us most about what we need to be doing, what services need to link up better, what actually helps, are people who have been affected by sexual violence in some way.”
Ms Farmer urged everyone to make sure they had their say through the forums, online consultation or through a written submission.
“As well as our online survey, which can be accessed from anywhere in Queensland, we’re holding some community forums in regions across the state,” she said.
“The first one will be held this Friday on the Gold Coast, and it is open to the public so anyone who wants to attend and have their say can do that.
“As well as the general online survey, our youth eHub will also be open for young people aged 13 to 25 to share their thoughts and ideas in a safe online space.
“You can also follow the conversation on social media using the hashtag #endsexualviolence.”
Ms Farmer said the state’s new Sexual Violence Prevention Roundtable, consisting of representatives from the community and the sector, academic experts and senior government representatives, met last week for the first time.
QUT Associate Professor and Roundtable member Dr Michael Flood, said efforts to prevent sexual violence needed to be based on strategies that were known to work.
“There is a growing expectation that efforts to prevent sexual and domestic violence will be based on the best available evidence of what works,” Dr Flood said.
“The role that I and the other researchers can play is to synthesise and communicate this evidence.”
Consultation are now open and online submissions can be made at https://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/gi/consultation/5710/view.html, or for young people aged 13-25 go to https://e-hub.engagementhub.com.au/.