Mind, body and spirit are among the key themes in celebrating a Queensland for all ages in the Isaac region this Seniors Week.
From tai chi, learning about nutrition to sharing stories and being creative through art, there’s something for all ages in Clermont, Dysart, Glenden, Middlemount, Moranbah, Nebo and St Lawrence from August 19.
Isaac Regional Council Mayor said the significant week is a chance for all residents to recognise the knowledge, experience and value older Isaac residents bring to the region.
“I encourage all Isaac residents, regardless of their age, to take part in this year’s Queensland Seniors Week and enjoy the wonderful program of events and activities that make up this important celebration,” she said.
“Seniors Week provides a wonderful opportunity each year for seniors to share and learn new experiences, discover the support and services available in the region, and to develop relationships with residents of all ages. Connecting with older people in our region can help to reduce their social isolation and promotes stronger community networks, so I encourage everyone to get involved and support these great events.”
Isaac Regional Council is proud to host and support these Queensland Senior Week events across the region:
- 19 August from 9am to 10am at Moranbah Library. Using iPads, learn how to download and borrow free audio and e-books plus access free movies and magazines. *
- 19 August from 10am to 12 noon at Moranbah Town Square. Seniors and pre-schoolers are encouraged to gather for a free morning tea followed by some fun interactive play using outside oversize low impact games such as bocce, hookey and ring toss. *
- 19 August from 10.30am to 12 noon at Middlemount Community Hall, Middlemount. This is an event for all ages. Tai chi, a nutritionist, free morning tea and a lucky door prize.
- 19 August from 10.30am to 1pm at Nebo Memorial Hall with a free Garden 2 Plate demonstration and luncheon. Discover the art of herb growing in wicking beds presented by local nursery expert Lynette Keir, then enjoy the tastes and smells of the cooking demonstration presented by Executive Chef Anthony Hicks. *
- 20 August from 9.30am to 10.30am at Nebo Library. Discover e-Libraries with a Borrow Box Workshop and Book Bingo. *
- 20 August from 2pm to 4.30pm at Moranbah Youth and Community Centre. Learn therapeutic technique of Acrylic Flow Art on geometric tiles. The project will come together in one piece of artwork which represents a symbolic map or journey by its contributors and breaks down barriers between aged residents and the youth. *
- 21 August from 9.30am to 11.30am at Nebo Memorial Hall with Time Out Tai Chi, guest speakers, acrylic flow art, recycled birdfeeder crafts, morning tea and Historic Nebo Museum entry. *
- 21 August from 11am at Leo Hotel, Clermont. Seniors are invited to come together to take part in a free luncheon. The two-course meal will be followed by a cent sale and raffles. The event is extremely popular and an opportunity for Clermont residents to connect, share stories and enjoy a day out.