Victorian parents have been reminded to prevent children’s access to lighters and matches after a Mooroopna family had a lucky escape earlier today.
CFA was called to a fire in a house in Gange Street, Mooroopna, ay 1.38pm today.
The fire was brought under control within 25 minutes and was contained to one bedroom where it originated.
A pumper and a tanker from Mooroopna CFA responded to the fire, along with support vehicles from CFA and FRV.
FRV firefighters from Shepparton Fire Station also attended in support of CFA.
The occupants self-evacuated but a male 30-year-old did suffer some burns and smoke inhalation and was attended to by Ambulance Victoria at the scene.
It is believed the fire was started by a young child with a stove lighter and that the children alerted their parents to the fire.
Rostered Duty Officer Brett Myers reminded Victorian parents to make sure lighters and matches are kept where even the most industrious children could not get hold of them.
“It illustrates how vigilant we must be as parents – we are just happy that we had a good outcome and were able to quickly put out this fire today,” he said.
Two smoke alarms were present but did not have working batteries.
“We’re told they were due to be replaced but unfortunately that had not been done yet,” RDO Myers said.
“It’s a good reminder that we need to make sure not only to have smoke alarms but to make sure they are working by replacing batteries as needed and regularly checking and maintaining them.
CFA and FRV now recommend that Victorians install smoke alarms in all bedroom and living areas, and that smoke alarms are interconnected. More info: https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/silence-is-deadly