A man has been charged after police seized a loaded pistol, ammunition, explosives and drugs following a search of a cabin and vehicle in the Riverina yesterday.
About 1pm (Tuesday 25 January 2021), officers from Murrumbidgee Police District Proactive Crime Team were conducting inquiries at a caravan park on Yanco Avenue in Leeton, about 60km south east of Griffith, when they spoke to a 21-year-old man, before searching his cabin.
During the search, officers allegedly found MDMA, methylamphetamine, cannabis, explosive detonators and a large quantity of fireworks and ammunition.
Officers also searched the man’s black Commodore utility where they located and seized a loaded .22 calibre pistol, along with more ammunition and fireworks.
The man was arrested and taken to Leeton Police Station where he was charged with:
• possess prohibited drug (three counts)
• supply prohibited drug >indictable &
• possess unauthorised pistol
• possess unregistered firearm-pistol
• not keep firearm safely-pistol, and
• handle explosive/precursor without authorising licence (three counts)
He was refused bail to appear at Griffith Local Court today (Tuesday 26 January 2021).