Federation council is excited to announce that students from Miki City, Japan, will be visiting the Federation Council as part of the Sister City Cultural Exchange Program.
The Miki City Federation Council Sister City cultural exchange program is in its 26th year. The program involves students visiting Japan every second year and Japanese students coming to Federation Council on the alternate year.
With the impacts of Covid-19, this year will be the first travel exchange to take place since 2019, with the Federation Council hosting visitors from Miki City during late August 2023. Students and chaperones, as well as dignitaries from Miki City Council will likely attend.
Guests will stay with local host families, to enable them to experience everyday life in an Australian household for up to a week.
Federation Council Mayor Cr Patrick Bourke said, it is a great opportunity for the Federation community to get involved in the sister program by hosting students, chaperones and dignitaries.
“Many special lifelong friendships have developed between our cities and communities as a result of becoming involved in hosting.”
Other benefits of being a host to chaperones, students and dignitaries can include:
• Participate in a rewarding and life changing experience.
• Develop an understanding and appreciation of other cultures.
• Establish connections and broaden horizons in your home and within the local community.
• Support a program that continues to provide young people with opportunities to see and experience the world and grow.
• Participate in a good deed, for your family, the local community, and also the broader world.
The last visit to Federation was in 2018 where 14 families, five local businesses and two schools were directly involved in the program, including hosting. In total around sixty local people contributed to the success of the exchange.
For any community members and families interested in hosting students, chaperones or dignitaries during the August 2023 exchange program, please complete the Expression of Interest form available from Council’s website