Celebrate NAIDOC Week by joining Meriam chef, Nornie Bero of Mabu Mabu, as she shares her love of Australian Indigenous foods and flavours. She’ll talk through some fantastic Indigenous ingredients and will show participants how they can incorporate Australian native fruits, herbs, spices and flavours into their own home-cooking.
MABU MABU – DISCOVER INDIGENOUS INGREDIENTS
Time: Nov 13, 2020 03:00 PM Australia/Melbourne
MABU MABU – DAMPER DEMONSTRATION
Time: Nov 14, 2020 11:00 AM Australia/Melbourne
Mabu Mabu Damper Recipe
For those who want to cook alongside Nornie’s live damper demonstration you can use the below recipe provided by Mabu Mabu.
Ingredients for Damper
3 cups self raising flour*
4 x 30cm Sheets of Banana Leaves (can substitute for baking paper)
2 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter/nuttlex)
1&1/2 cups water
500g Japanese Pumpkin
1 tbs Wattleseed (can substitute for other nutty spice)
1 & 1/2 tbs Saltbush (can substitute for oregano or other savoury herbs)
Ingredients for Golden Syrup Butter
4 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter/nuttlex)
1 & 1/2 tbs golden syrup
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Start by roasting the pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into cubes and roast in the oven until soft – almost mushy.
3. In a bowl, add the flour and butter. Mix together using your hands by pressing together. Mix until fully combined.
4. Add the cooked pumpkin or wattleseed or saltbush.
5. Add water to the flour and butter and mix a little at a time and mix with fingers until you have a nice sticky dough. Use less water when making pumpkin damper
6. Place some four on your surface then kneed until you have a bread-dough consistency.
7. Divide dough in two. Place half dough on centre of banana leaf (or baking paper). Wrap in banana leaf then wrap in tin foil.
8. Place on oven shelf for 35 – 40 minutes.
9. Form the other half of dough into a large loaf or small rolls and place on floured oven tray in the oven for 25 – 35 minutes.
10. To accompany pumpkin damper, whip room temperature butter with golden syrup.
* Damper can be made using gluten free self-raising flour. If your gluten-free flour is not self-raising, please add rising agent like baking powder.
** To make along with Nornie in the online session, please pre-cook the pumpkin and pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.