Detectives from the Gang Crime Squad have arrested nine people over the past two days as part of an operation targeting gang-related drugs and firearms offences.
Yesterday police from the Gang Crime Squad and Shepparton Crime Investigation Unit executed warrants at three properties in Shepparton and two in Kialla.
The following six man were arrested and charged:
• A 23-year-old Kialla man was charged with traffick cocaine, prohibited person possess firearm and possess cannabis, and was remanded to appear at Shepparton magistrates’ Court on 3 September;
• A 22-year-old Shepparton man was charged with traffick cocaine, possess firearm and bail offences, and was remanded to appear at Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on 20 August;
• A 30-year-old Shepparton man was charged with traffick cocaine, possess firearm and bail offences, and was remanded to appear at Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on 20 September;
• A 22-year-old Shepparton man was charged with traffick cocaine and was bailed to appear at Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on 20 August;
• A 24-year-old Kialla man was charged with traffick drug of dependence, possess drug of dependence, possess explosives and deal with proceeds of crime, and has been bailed to appear at Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on 22 December; and
• A 23-year-old Shepparton man has been charged with possess drug of dependence and bailed to appear at Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on 12 November.
Police also seized a number of items from the addresses including a sawn-off shot-gun, ammunition, drugs including cannabis and GHB, cash, illegal fireworks and designed clothing and accessories.
Today, detectives from the Gang Crime Squad and Echo Taskforce executed four warrants in Dandenong, Cranbourne, Glenroy and Fitzroy.
Three men were arrested including:
• A 24 year-old Glenroy man who has been charged with deceptions, traffick drug of dependence, traffic offences and bail offences, and he will appear at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today;
• A 22-year-old Cranbourne man who has been charged with traffick drug of dependence and possess drug of dependence, and he will appear at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this afternoon; and
• A 25-year-old Dandenong man who has since been released pending further enquiries.
The trio will now all be interviewed by police.
Police also seized drugs from the properties including cocaine and cannabis.
The arrests form part of an ongoing investigation into alleged trafficking of cocaine in metropolitan and country Victoria.
Anyone with information about gang activity is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report to www.crimestoppersvic.com.au
Quotes attributable to Detective Inspector Graham Banks, Crime Command:
“This is an excellent result and we now have nine people who will be held accountable for the harm their criminal activities cause the community.
“Over the past fortnight detectives from both the Gang Crime Squad and Echo taskforce have executed a significant number of warrants in regional Victoria, which shows that these serious and organised crime syndicates can operate from anywhere, at any time.
“The seizure of any firearm is always especially pleasing and again, underlines the strong link we know exists between illicit drugs and firearms.
“If there are people out there who have knowledge about this group, then I would continue to urge you to come forward and this can also be done anonymously via Crime Stoppers.
“Detectives from the Gang Crime Squad will continue to actively work to target and disrupt gangs such as this and ensure we prevent them causing further harm to the community.”