NSW police concerned by reckless behaviour on our roads

Police are reminding motorists to slow down on our roads, after an increase in the number of people caught speeding on the final day of Operation Drink Drive 2, NSW Police say.

Operation Drink Drive 2 started on 12.01am on Thursday 3 November 2016 and ran through until 11.59pm last night (9 November 2013).

Yesterday, yesterday, officers across the state conducted over 35,000 random breath tests resulting in 35 people being charged with drink-driving offences.

However, police are seriously concerned by the reckless behaviour of some motorist, including the driver of a utility who was speeding and doing burnouts in Wyong.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy from the State’s Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said that although police are pleased with the decrease in the number of people caught drinking-driving, the number of people caught speeding is concerning.

“Operation Drink-Drive 2 has seen a decrease in the number of people caught drink driving which is positive. However, one positive breath test, is one too many.

“Speeding is one of the biggest killers on our roads, and places not only drivers, but other road users and the wider community at risk.

“I want to remind all drivers, that if you speed on our roads, you will be caught,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

Some major incidents of note during the third day of Operation Drink Drive 2 yesterday include;

– About 6pm, police were patrolling Northcote St, Wyong, when they observed a Ford utility doing burnouts and speeding with passengers in the tray of the ute. Police saw the ute allegedly doing a burnout for about 200 meters before almost hitting oncoming cars and pedestrians. Police stopped the Ford, and spoke with the driver, a 20-year-old man, who was subject to a road side breath test which returned a positive result. The man was arrested and taken to Wyong Police Station, where he was subject to a breath analysis, which allegedly returned a positive result of 0.063. He was charged with burnout offences, driving an unregistered motor vehicle and mid-range drink driving. He was given strict conditional bail to appear before Wyong Local Court on 28 November 2016.

– About 9:55pm, police detected a Holden Commodore travelling on Rockley Road, Perthville, at an alleged speed of 101km/h in a 50km/h. The driver, a 25-year-old was issued an infringement notice for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h and his licence was suspended on the spot.

– About 9:30am, police were conducting RBT’s on Barrenjoey Road, Avalon, when they observed a Hyundai Iload stop short, and the driver attempted to walk away from his vehicle. Police stopped the driver, a 19-year-old man, who became aggressive towards police, assaulting an officer. The man was arrested and refused to submit to a random breath test. He was taken to Chatswood Police Station and subject to a random breath test, which allegedly returned a positive result of 0.133. The man was charged with a several offences including mid-range drink driving, refusing a roadside breath test and assaulting police. The man was given strict conditional bail to appear before Hornsby Local Court on 1 December 2016.

Key statistics from Operation Drink Drive Two

Police conducted over 110,000 random breath tests.

Police charged 121 people with drink-driving offences.

A total of 6,043 traffic infringements were issued with 3008 of those being for speeding offences.

There was one fatality on NSW roads during the operation, which is four less then this time last year.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers.

/Public Release.