The Hair and Beauty Industry Award has been reviewed and rewritten using plain language by the Fair Work Commission (FWC). This is to make the award simpler and easier to understand.
As a result of this review, FWC also made some changes to the award. These changes apply from the first pay period on or after 9 August 2022.
- removing shiftworker provisions
- adding a definition of ‘relevant weekend penalty amount’ to clarify how annual leave loading is calculated
- clarifying in the part-time clause that the regular pattern of work can be varied via electronic means of communication
- clarifying in the tool allowance clause that scissors and other cutting instruments are covered
- referring to commercial passenger vehicles, instead of taxis, in the transport of employees reimbursement clause.
All other usual award provisions remain the same.
Updated information and tools
We’ve updated our Hair and Beauty Award information and tools. This includes our:
- industry filters, like Payment for annual leave (select the ‘Hair and Beauty’ industry filter)
- Pay and Conditions Tool (where you can calculate pay rates, penalties and other allowances)
- Hair and Beauty award summary.
You can also access a copy of the updated award at Hair and Beauty Award.
About the plain language review
As a part of the 4 yearly review of modern awards, the FWC has been rewriting many awards using plain language. Learn more about this process at FWC – Plain language re-drafting.
Access the FWC decisions for the Hair and Beauty plain language review at FWC – Hair and Beauty Industry Award (AM2016/15).
Not a subscriber? Make sure you subscribe to email updates to be told about changes to your award or industry.