“We don’t need no more trouble!” Bob Marley’s song rings true for us now!
As the Parliaments resume after the winter break, we urge focus on the main concerns of these months ahead:
● Containing the Delta variant;
● Ensuring a comprehensive national vaccine program;
● Providing safe quarantine facilities so separated families can be reunited and Australians overseas are able to return home;
● Assisting nations in our region with aid so the health, economic and social consequences of this pandemic cause less suffering;
● Supporting income and housing security for citizens impacted by the pandemic;
● Ensuring our young people have access to education and support for their education to employment pathways;
● Making a generous contribution to the upcoming UNCOP26, as we see globally the effect of the more extreme and more frequent climatic events which are the consequence of climate change.
A primary responsibility of Governments is to keep citizens safe.
This involves the crucial work of the National Cabinet.
It also involves the continuing partnership of Governments with the Non-Government sector, including our Churches and our domestic and international agencies of welfare and aid.
These main concerns for the months ahead need our focused and undistracted concentration.
It is tempting, in times of crises, to let ourselves be distracted. Even, as the poets say, “to be distracted by distraction from distraction.”
We urge our Parliaments to remain focused on the crucial tasks. They require our best efforts together.
We urge that Parliamentary business be re-scrutinised so that nothing unnecessary causes distraction.
We assure you of our prayerful support. In fact, to elaborate, we are planning, in partnership with others, that August to December 2021 will be a time when we offer deep, sustained prayer for families, neighbours, our state and national leaders, all are in need.
As the Bob Marley song continues… “what we need is love, to guide us from above”.
May it be so as we all do our best to stay focused on the crucial tasks of these next months.
/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization/author(s)and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).