A man wanted on outstanding warrants has been arrested and will face court tomorrow charged with sexual and traffic offences in the state’s north.
Officers from Richmond Police District commenced an investigation to locate a 25-year-old man wanted on an arrest warrant for a sexual assault that allegedly took place in a correctional facility in Junee in July 2019.
Following extensive inquiries, the man was arrested at a home in Campbell Crescent, Goonellabah, about 3.40pm today (Friday 31 January 2020).
He was taken to Lismore Police Station where he was charged with the outstanding warrants and 13 other offences, including:
• stalk/intimidate intend fear physical etc harm,
• wield knife in a public place,
• armed with intent to commit indictable offence,
• enter enclosed land not prescribed premises without lawful excuse,
• enter dwelling with intent to steal,
• drive motor vehicle during disqualification period,
• use unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle on road,
• use uninsured motor vehicle,
• motor bike rider (alone) not wear/secure fit approved helmet
• resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty
• police pursuit and,
• aggravated sexual assault
It will be alleged in court that the 25-year-old man was involved in a police pursuit on Tuesday 14 January 2020 along Ballina Road, heading towards Goonellabah.
The pursuit was terminated due to safety concerns.
The vehicle came to rest, and the man allegedly ran from the scene and evaded arrest.
He was refused bail to appear at Lismore Local Court tomorrow (Saturday 1 February 2020).