A man has been charged after a police officer was assaulted in Sydney’s south yesterday.
Just after 2pm (Thursday 28 March 2019) an officer from Sutherland Highway Patrol stopped a grey Mazda sedan on Jannali Avenue, Jannali, after it was allegedly detected at more than 20km over the speed limit.
The driver, a 48-year-old Padstow man, allegedly refused to give police his driver’s licence, became aggressive before driving off.
Police caught up with the man in Leonay Street, Sutherland, where the car was stopped again.
The man got out of the vehicle and was again aggressive with police before he attempted to get back into his vehicle.
The officer attempted to stop the man however, he allegedly became violent and assaulted the officer.
He was arrested and taken to Sutherland Police Station where he was charged with;
• Assault police officer in execution of duty
• Resist officer in execution of duty
• Not comply with direction given by police officer
• Drive motor vehicle while licence suspended
• Not give particulars to police
• Use offensive language in/near public place/school
He was refused bail to appear at Sutherland Local Court today (Friday 29 March 2019).