A man is expected to face court today after being extradited to NSW and charged over a fatal fail-to-stop crash in northern NSW on Monday.
About 3.20pm (Monday 2 September 2019), two motorcycles and a car collided at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Tweed Valley Way in Tumbulgum (near Tweed Heads).
A 39-year-old male rider of one of the motorbikes died at the scene, the other male rider, aged 51, was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital with minor injuries.
The driver of the vehicle failed to stop.
Officers from the Crash Investigation Unit commenced inquiries.
Following inquiries, a 52-year-old man was stopped just before 2am yesterday (Tuesday 3 September 2019) at Brisbane Airport as he was preparing to board a flight to Hong Kong.
He was subsequently arrested and extradited to NSW, where he was taken to Tweed Heads Police Station and charged with an outstanding warrant, as well as:
- dangerous driving occasioning death – drive manner dangerous,
- fail to stop & assist after vehicle impact causing death,
- negligent driving (occasioning death),
- cause bodily harm by misconduct in charge of motor vehicle,
- drive while licence cancelled,
- not give way to vehicle (give way sign/line), and;
- driver fails/refuses to disclose his identity
He was refused bail to appear at Tweed Heads Local Court tomorrow (Wednesday 4 September 2019).
The vehicle involved in the crash was located today in Terranora. It has been seized for examination.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.