Police lay charges after separate road-rage incidents – Wollongong, Belmore

A man will face court today charged over two separate road-related incidents in Belmore and Wollongong.

Police have been told about 12.35pm yesterday (Tuesday 4 February 2020), a black Toyota Corolla was involved in a crash with another car on the M1 Motorway at Cataract.

The driver of the Corolla got out of his car and allegedly reached into the other driver’s window, removing his car keys and dashcam and throwing them into nearby bushland.

The man then drove away allegedly without exchanging details.

About 2.45pm, officers from Traffic and Highway Patrol located the man in the carpark of a fast food restaurant at Fairy Meadow. Following a brief conversation, police allege the man became aggressive and spat at one police officer and kicked the leg of another.

He was taken to Wollongong Police Station and charged with fail to exchange particulars, offensive language, and two counts of assault police.

Following inquiries, detectives from Campsie Local Area Command attended and spoke with the man about an incident from earlier in the week.

Police allege the man crashed his black Toyota Corolla into a grey Mercedes that was parked on Etela Street, Belmore, about 5.45am Monday (3 February 2020).

Police have been told the man became aggressive towards a passer-by who was recording the man’s details as he was leaving the scene.

The man allegedly punched the passer-by in the face a number of times and took his phone, before kicking his car. He then reached in and allegedly stole a bag containing a wallet and cash.

Police and NSW Ambulance paramedics attended and the injured man was taken to Canterbury Hospital, where he was treated for facial cuts.

Officers from Campsie Local Area Command commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The man has now been charged with three additional offences including aggravated robbery, destroy or damage property, and not give particulars to owner of damaged property.

He was refused bail and is due to face Wollongong Local Court today (Wednesday 5 February 2020).

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.