Police seek information after St Albans death

Detectives from the Homicide Squad are appealing for anyone with information or footage to come forward following the death of a teenage boy in St Albans yesterday.

Police have been told two groups of African males met at Keilor Plains Railway Station around 11.30pm on Saturday, 21 December.

The groups, who are known to each other, were on the eastern side of the station near East Esplanade.

It’s understood they had arranged to meet in relation to a dispute regarding a vehicle.

After meeting at the station, the groups went to a property at nearby Fox Street about 1.20am on Sunday 22 December where a verbal altercation took place.

Following the altercation about 1.28am a number of people from the Fox Street address have chased the victim’s group back to the eastside car park of the railway station.

It’s believed a number of people involved in the altercation were armed with a variety of weapons including sticks, fence posts and knives.

During this altercation the 17-year-old South Australian victim has been assaulted.

The groups then disperse, with the victim and a number of people from his group heading to Platform 1 (city bound).

The males in the second group have left in three vehicles from the scene, including a silver 2005 Holden Commodore sedan with South Australian registration S111 AZI which was the vehicle that was the subject of the dispute.

The other two vehicles are unknown at this stage.

Some of the males, including the victim ran south along Platform 1 and crossed a pedestrian walkway to the western side of the station near Regan Street.

The victim collapsed on Regan Street near the western side carpark and emergency services were called, however he died at the scene.

Police subsequently arrested 10 people from across both groups on the night, however all have been released pending further enquiries.

Homicide Squad detectives are urging anyone who witnessed or heard any suspicious activity in the area between 11pm on Saturday, 21 December and 2am on Sunday, 22 December to come forward.

Police are also keen to speak to anyone who found any foreign objects in their yards or driveways.

Investigators have released a map of an area of interest surrounding the incident and are asking those who live or travelled in that area between 11pm on 21 December and 2am on 22 December and have not yet spoken to police, to come forward and to check any CCTV or dash-cam footage they may have.

This area includes:

• Taylors Road to the north;

• Newcombe Drive to the west;

• Biggs Street to the south; and

• Leslie Street to the east.

At this stage, police believe the incident is linked to an altercation earlier on Saturday, 21 December which took place at a soccer game at Green Gully Reserve during an all-day tournament.

Police have been told the silver Commodore was taken from this location during that dispute.

Investigators are keen to speak to anyone who has knowledge of that incident and those involved.

Officer in charge of the Homicide Squad, Detective Inspector Tim Day, said there will be people in the local community who know who is responsible for this death.

“This is a dispute between two groups who are known to each other that has escalated with tragic consequences,” he said.

“We now have a family and a community in mourning and I have no doubt there are people who were involved in the dispute or have heard accounts, who are yet to speak to police and know what happened.

“I am asking those people to come forward and help us, especially if you have information about who has been directly involved in inflicting the fatal injuries.

“I also remind anyone who does have knowledge of those responsible that information can either be provided directly to police or anonymously via Crime Stoppers.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

St Albans homicide map

/Public Release. View in full here.