Ballina Shire Council will move into the main section of the River Street Duplication project, between Quays Drive and Barlows Road, from Monday 17 May 2021.
Before road construction commences, vegetation will be removed from the entire length of the median strip; this will provide clearer sight lines for motorists through the works and eliminate potential obstructions for larger vehicles. Landscaping will be reinstated to the median when Stage 1 is completed.
Once vegetation is cleared, traffic barriers will be set up east of Bunnings (Phase 3) and road construction will commence. Construction will progress through to Phase 7 along the northern side of River Street as each phase is completed.
During Phase 3 the following traffic changes will be in place.
- Dual travel lanes will merge into a single lane at Horizon Drive, through the Bunnings roundabout into the single travel lane east of Quays Drive.
- Wider load vehicles should use Horizon Drive, West Ballina. Traffic barriers used in each construction phase reduce the width of the travel lane to 3-metres.
- Temporary closure of footpath between Bunnings and the Hibiscus Gardens Caravan Park. Pedestrian detours will be signposted.
- Bus Stop will be temporarily relocated from the western side to the eastern side of the Hibiscus Gardens Caravan Park driveway.
- Existing single travel lanes will be maintained, except when the construction zone is set-up and packed-down; this will be carried out outside peak travel periods.
- Street parking will be reduced and, at times, unavailable.
- Speed limit will be reduced to 40kmph in construction zones.
To alleviate congestion and avoid travel delays:
- Allow extra travel time.
- Avoid non-essential travel during peak morning and afternoon periods.
Stage One of the River Street Duplication project is estimated to cost $3.7million and is expected to be completed in late 2021 (weather and site conditions permitting).
Council thanks motorists for their patience during this essential upgrade and encourages our community to get behind West Ballina businesses by continuing to shop local during this upgrade.
For more information and to register for project updates visit ballina.nsw.gov.au/RiverStreetDuplication