Rous County Council (RCC), the region’s water supply authority, has announced level 1 water restrictions will be implemented in Byron Shire from Saturday 7 December, 2019.
The level 1 restrictions also apply to the Lismore, Ballina and Richmond Valley Council areas which are also connected to the RCC supply.
Level 1 restrictions apply when the water level in the Rocky Creek dam reaches 70 percent.
The restrictions apply to all people and businesses connected to the water network and include:
- No watering of established lawns
- No water play tools, toys and slides
- Fitting all hand-held hoses with on/off trigger nozzles
- Watering established gardens is permitted with hand-held hoses for one hour every second day, between 4.00pm and 9.00am on odd or even days of the month to match the house numbering system
- Topping up swimming pools is permitted between 4.00pm and 9.00am using a hand-held hose
- Washing cars with hand-held hoses is permitted between 4.00pm and 9.00am on odd or even days of the month to match the house numbering system.
Level 3 water restrictions are in place for Mullumbimby residents and businesses with the town receiving its water from the Lavertys Gap Weir.