The Morrison Government will deliver new treatments and medicines for Australians through a $100 million boost for rural, regional and remote clinical trials across the country.
This funding would help put our researchers and doctors at the forefront of global research and give more patients more treatment options regardless of where they live.
Clinical trials open up a world of hope for patients.
The Liberal and National Government’s new initiative is also set to boost rural, regional and remote economies with direct industry investment in jobs and clinical trials supply chain services.
Australia has a reputation for excellence in clinical trial research, internationally recognised researchers and medical experts, quality infrastructure and high standards of health care. However access and participation in clinical trials is often limited for doctors and patients in rural, regional and remote areas of Australia.
This program will enable and complement the $614 million in funding announced in the 10 year Medical Research Future Fund Investment Plan. It also complements the $7 million in funding we’re delivering states and territories to support activities aimed at achieving national consistency of clinical trial systems.
The Liberal National Government would open a competitive grant round for expressions of interest on 1 October 2019 and close the round on 30 November 2019.
A peer review panel selected by Australian Medical Research Advisory Board and the National Health and Medical Research Council would then consider and rank proposals with successful participants to be announced by 31 March 2020 for commencement after 1 July 2020.
The funding will come from the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) National Critical Infrastructure initiative and will be delivered over five years from 2020-21.
Today’s announcement builds on the Morrison Government’s $550 million Stronger Rural Health Strategy. This is the most comprehensive rural health package in decades and is improving access to doctors, nurses and other health care services for all Australians, especially those in the regions.
The Morrison Government has also outlined its ‘Plan for Strengthening Australia’s World Class Health System’, which will guarantee Medicare, deliver record bulk billing, an additional $31 billion for hospitals over the next five year agreement, $40 billion for new medicines and research backed by our $20 billion Medical Research Future Fund.
The Morrison Government’s ‘Plan for Strengthening Australia’s World Class Health System’ will ensure we continue to deliver:
- Record funding for Medicare with $6 billion extra funding over the next four years, higher than every year under Labor
- Record bulk billing rates with nine out of 10 visit to the doctor for free on average, higher than every year under Labor
- Affordable access to all new medicines on the PBS recommended by the medical experts, with over 2,000 new and amended listings since 2013
- $6 billion a year on cancer services
- Record investment in public hospitals, higher than every year under Labor, with an additional $31 billion from 2020-21 to 2024-25
- Guaranteeing private health insurance and making it simpler and more affordable
- Recording funding for mental health with over $4.8 billion a year for vital services
- The largest single investment in medical research through the $20 billion Medical Research Future Fund, including a $500 million Genomics Missions which has the potential find a cure for some of the most devastating conditions.
More information on ‘Our Plan for Strengthening Australia’s World Class Health System’ is available: https://www.liberal.org.au/our-plan-strengthening-australias-world-class-health-system