This year, the British Embassy is seeking to support activities up to DOP 565,000.00, or equivalent in USD, that deliver real, measurable outcomes in support of socio-economic growth and development of the Dominican Republic focusing on the following themes:
Girls’ education and gender equality: in particular, projects aiming to address teenage pregnancy and raise awareness of women’s and reproductive rights. Including, but not limited, to public campaigns and events, workshops, conferences, school and mobile teaching.
Climate change and green finance: projects related to climate change and tackling green issues through education, training, campaigns, public awareness raising, and other initiatives related to the causes and impacts of climate change. These projects can revolve around subjects such as oceans preservation, renewable energies and the reduction of single use plastic. In this category, we are also looking for projects that focus on Green Finance (sustainable finance, green bonds, blue bonds, among others) be it through trainings, workshops and conferences. We will particularly welcome proposals that are linked to or build around COP26 (UN Climate Change Summit) and its objectives.
Media freedom: we are looking for projects that will help promote and/or strengthen media freedom through targeted training and workshops. Projects in this category can include inviting journalism experts from the UK to the Dominican Republic. We welcome projects by Dominican journalists who have identified short-term, focused training opportunities or conferences related to journalism in the UK.
Innovative technologies, cyber security and artificial intelligence: in particular, projects around workshops, conferences or training seeking to support the socio-economic growth and development of the Dominican Republic through the application of new technologies, cyber security and artificial intelligence.
Human Rights, Rule of Law and Democracy: in particular, strengthening democratic governance and rule of law; increasing equality and reducing violence and discrimination against women and vulnerable groups such as the LGBTI community; raising awareness on border migration and tackling modern slavery.
- For this strand only, we may be able to fund one project for DOP 1,135,000.00 (one million one hundred and thirty five thousand Dominican pesos) or equivalent in USD. This project will educate on one of the former subjects, should lead on impactful behavioural changes and will set out key actions to be undertaken by project implementers.
- You must submit the proposal using the Activity bid form (ODT, 31.7KB). If you wish to submit a project Proposal of over DOP 1 million, which is only available for the Human Rights and Democracy strand, use the Project bid form (ODT, 192KB).
- Projects are funded under a reimbursement scheme for a single financial year, with no expectation of continued funding beyond this period.
- Project must be completed by 31st December 2020. Projects with finishing dates of 31st January 2021 can be considered as long as 85% of the budget is executed by 15th November 2020.
Bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- alignment with the above thematic priorities and outcomes
- achievable outcomes within the funding period and sustainable after the funding ends
- clear project design which includes monitoring and evaluation procedures
- identified risks and planned mitigation
- demonstrated value for money in the activity based budget
- the organisation’s safeguarding policies that ensure protection of beneficiaries
- Activity and project proposals must be received by 23:55 (Santo Domingo time) on Sunday 13th March. Any proposals received in a format different to the one requested, in a language other than English, or submitted after the set date and time will not be considered.
- Proposals must be submitted using the attached forms only. (Activity or Project Proposal and Activity Based Budget).
- The Activity Based Budget needs to be in the same currency as the bank account where funds reimbursements are to be received.
- Proposals must be submitted to