Smoke alarms save lives

Northern Territory Fire and Rescue Service crews responded to a house fire over the weekend. Upon arrival to the incident authorities found the building to be fully engulfed.

It was discovered there were no smoke alarms within the premises but fortunately the residence were awoken due to a fan malfunctioning in the bedroom which enabled them to escape safely.

This unfortunate event serves as an important reminder to owners/ occupants to ensure they have appropriate smoke alarms installed and maintained within their premises.

Smoke alarms provide early warning for occupants to allow precious, but limited, time needed to escape. The alarm can also alert your neighbours within the area if no one is home.

NT Fire and Emergency Regulations require the installation of appropriate photo-electric smoke alarms in residential premises or moveable dwellings. Further information on smoke alarms can be found on the NT Fire and Rescues Service’s website.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization/author(s)and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.