Statement from Commissioner Fuller regarding Australian Defence Force

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller today confirmed that the Premier of New South Wales had passed on an offer for Australian Defence Force (ADF) assistance on Wednesday 7 July 2021.

NSW Police had already commenced pre-planning for a major police operation at that time which was launched on Friday 9 July under the command of Metropolitan Field Operations, Deputy Commissioner Mal Lanyon.

Commissioner Fuller said, I reiterate my support for the close relationship NSW Police has with the ADF, particularly working through the bushfires. That has continued throughout the COVID pandemic, including the close cooperation in the hotel quarantine operation and logistics support in the Police Operations Centre where ADF personnel continue to be essential in terms of the NSW Police operation.

However, it was determined the police operational response didn’t require external assistance in the south western Sydney operation given the transmission of the virus was between household contacts, not primarily occurring on the streets.

Commissioner Fuller thanks the Prime Minister for his continued support.

NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said, I fully support the position taken by Commissioner Fuller and thank the members of the NSW Police Force for their tireless efforts throughout these operations.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.