Severe flooding has impacted on communities in north eastern NSW. While the rain has eased across much of the area, light showers are forecast over coming days.
The weather system is moving south, with heavy rain and strong winds expected to impact on coastal NSW today and tomorrow, including the Central Coast, Metropolitan and Illawarra and South Coast areas.
Stay up to date on evacuations and warnings at www.ses.nsw.gov.au.
Monitor www.bom.gov.au for weather updates.
- Major flooding is currently occurring in the Ballina and West Ballina areas.
- Emergency services are working to rescue a number of people isolated by the flood water.
- A high tide at 9:44am this morning has reduced the ability for flood water to clear.
Casino and Kyogle and surrounds
- Inundation of Casino CBD occurred on Tuesday night (1 March) with impact to homes and businesses.
- Water levels have now dropped enough in the CBD to allow crews to start washing down mud and debris. This work will continue over coming days.
- The Woodburn area was also inundated overnight.
- Areas including Broadwater and Wardell are likely to impacted today.
- Areas of Coraki and East Coraki were impacted earlier this week.
- The water levels continue to fall.
Lismore and surrounding areas.
- The Wilson River peaked on Tuesday.
- Water levels continue to fall allowing NSW SES Members to access previously cut off homes and business.
- The water level has now dropped below the levee height. Permanent pumps located within the CBD will begin to pump water.
- A Fire and Rescue high capacity pump will also be located within the Lismore CBD to assist with clearing the water.
- NSW SES Boats will continue to work in the areas outside the CBD checking on the welfare of residents with helicopters also supporting efforts.
Banora Point Salvation Army
Cnr Leisure & Woodlands Drive, Banora Point
Southern Cross University
Military Road, East Lismore NSW 2480
Kyogle Memorial Hall
Cnr Summerland Way & Strathden Street, Kyogle
146 Murwillumbah Street, Murwillumbah NSW 2484
Ocean Shores Country Club
123 Orana Road, Ocean Shores NSW 2483
Coraki Uniting Church
50 Adams Street, Coraki NSW 2471
12 Cameron Street, Maclean NSW 2463
806 Cudgen Road, Kingscliff NSW 2487
South Grafton High School
Tyson Street, South Grafton NSW 2460
Lennox Head Cultural Centre
1 Mackney Lane, Lennox Head NSW 2478
4 Mullumbimbi Street, Brunswick Heads NSW 2483
58 Dalley Street, Mullumbimby NSW 2482
Casino High School
90 Queensland Road, Casino NSW 2470
Cherry Street Sports Club
68 Cherry Street, Ballina NSW 2478
Woodburn Public School
Woodburn Street, Woodburn NSW 2472
Camp Drewe Road, Lennox Head
Goonellabah Sports and Aquatic Centre
1 Wallerawang Drive, Goonellabah NSW 2480
Wardell Sports Club
Bath Street, Wardell NSW 2477
Iluka Bowling Club
75-79 Spenser Street, Iluka NSW 2466
Evans Head RSL
11-13 McDonald Place, Evans Head NSW 2473
Rappville Primary School
5/7 Lyons Street, Rappville NSW 2469
Broadwater Community Centre
Little Pitt Street, Broadwater NSW 2472
2 Redford Drive, Skennars Head NSW 2478
- Water Levels peaked on Tuesday night with river levels continuing to fall.
- At Mullumbimby, the town is likely to be cut off for the next 24 hours.
- Waters have peaked in Grafton overnight and the levee has held.
- RFS is providing assistance with sandbagging and preparing residents with potential inundation.
- Water level in Ulmarra has peaked below the levee height and is currently receding.
- Maclean may still have localised flooding impacts to low lying areas.
SES is urging residents in Sydney, Illawarra and the South Coast to prepare now:
- Rural properties- time to lift pumps and move stock to higher ground
- Now is the time to secure and put away loose items around your balcony and backyard
- Clean your gutters and trim your branches
- Bring your pets indoors
- Park your cars away from trees