The Mornington Peninsula Shire sends our sincerest condolences to all involved in the tragic events in our beaches recently.
We want to thank our emergency services who responded quickly and our Lifesavers who went over and above to help our community.
Sadly, these tragedies are a timely reminder that we need to encourage everyone to stay safe around water.
Important water safety messages to remember:
- Be aware and prepared for conditions
- Read safety signs to understand dangers
- Swim between the red and yellow flags wherever possible
- Never swim alone
- Postpone alcohol until after your aquatic activity
- Alcohol affects your swimming ability and judgement of dangerous situations
- Always wear a lifejacket when boating or rock fishing, it buys you time to survive
- Ensure you have the appropriate skills for your activity before going out on the water.
Never overestimate your abilities and never underestimate the risks.