Strand to host Barbecue Battle this weekend

Twenty-four teams from Queensland and New South Wales will converge on Strand Park this weekend for the Mike Carney Toyota Townsville Barbecue Battle, and there won’t be a shrimp in sight.

The annual competition will see the teams compete under Australasian Barbecue Alliance regulations over 2 days to be crowned the Townsville Barbecue Battle Grand Champion.

Townsville City Council’s Community and Cultural Development Committee chairperson Ann-Maree Greaney said it was great to see the Barbecue Battle back at The Strand, bigger and better in 2021.

“A lot of North Queenslanders love firing up their barbecues, so I know our community will love this event, showcasing some of the talented barbecue cooks and fresh produce our region has to offer,” Cr Greaney said.

“With 24 teams firing up their barbies for this year’s battle, it’s bound to be a great time down here at Strand Park.

“Council as the Strategic Event Partner is proud to be supporting the event, which demonstrates the great lifestyle we enjoy in Townsville and really adds to our community feel.”

Due to Covid restrictions, the event, which has attracted more than 24,000 spectators in the past 2 years, in person in 2019 and virtually in 2020, will be ticketed and capped at around 2750 people over the two-day event.

“It’s not just those competing that can get involved – the Barbecue Battle is open to meat-loving locals who want a taste of the action, so get in fast to secure your ticket,” Cr Greaney said.

“It’s true what they say, winter is the best time of year here in Townsville – when the place starts to cool down, the Townsville Barbecue Battle will turn the heat up for some tough competition and tender meats.”

Event organiser Dan Wilschefski welcomed the Council’s support of the 2021 event.

“It’s great to be able to get the public involved once again in the Barbecue Battle after last year’s virtual event during the height of COVID-19,” Mr Wilschefski said.

“This year, the contestants will be judged on the art of barbecuing chicken, lamb, pork ribs, beef ribs and the age-old low and slow favourite, beef brisket.

“The event has adapted with the COVID-19 restrictions, however it’s great to be able to welcome teams from all over Queensland and two teams from New South Wales.

“There is something for everyone, with a licensed bar, food trucks, cooking demonstrations from celebrity chef Matt Golinski, rides, stalls and great entertainment – what more could you want from a day out on the Strand?

“The support of Council in conjunction with local businesses has been instrumental in bringing this event back to the Strand, and we look forward to putting on a great day for BBQ lovers and the Townsville community alike.”

The Barbecue Battle will take place at the Strand Park from 18–19 June.

Ticket holders will be able to walk through the competition area and see the teams up close as they vie for the Grand Championship trophy.

250 VIP tickets are available on Saturday. 2750 general tickets are available for purchase both Friday night 6–10pm and Saturday 9am–10pm.

Tickets are available by visiting https://www.trybooking.com/BQIDY.

People holding barbecue tongs on The Strand beach

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.