Gympie police are warning the public following the theft of 20 litres of nitric acid, a highly dangerous substance which can cause serious injury or death.
The nitric acid, which was in an unlabelled white 20L container (as per attached image) was stolen around midday Sunday, February 9 during a break-in at a mine site at Mother Mountain.
Police hold concerns for anyone who may have contact with the substance and are warning the public to not touch the container and immediately call Triple Zero (000) if located.
It is believed that the container has a small leak in it posing a danger to whoever may handle it.
Nitric acid is a dangerous chemical that will cause serious burns, respiratory distress and can be fatal if ingested or accidentally spilt on the body.
Anyone with information about the chemical’s whereabouts urged to immediately contact police.