Thousands of British Muslims expected to attend this year’s Hajj pilgrimage. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is urging those travelling to Saudi Arabia to be fully prepared and follow up-to-date travel advice before departing.
The FCO have produced digital Hajj travel advice leaflets for pilgrims, which includes useful tips and advice, and information on how the FCO can assist if things go wrong:
Hajj travel advice in English(PDF, 197KB, 1 page)
Hajj travel advice in Bangla(PDF, 727KB, 1 page)
Hajj travel advice in Urdu(PDF, 720KB, 1 page)
In addition to the requirements from the Saudi government, the FCO recommends that all pilgrims use the following checklist to help plan their trip:
- keep up-to-date with the FCO travel advice for Saudi Arabia
- travel with a reputable tour operator – book your tickets through an ATOL registered tour operator to avoid unnecessary difficulties or fraud; for more information visit ATOL. Have contact details for your tour operator in the UK and their representatives in Makkah
- get comprehensive travel insurance and ensure it covers all aspects of your journey
- check the health requirements and take precautionary steps as necessary, such as vaccinations; for further information visit Travel Health Pro. If you require medication check that you have adequate quantities
- check your passport and visas are valid – do you need a visa, or to renew an existing one?
- take copies of your passport and travel documents. Take a copy of your passport with you and store it online using a secure storage site, and leave copies with family and friends, along with your itinerary and contact details
- research the local laws and customs – more information can be found in the FCO travel advice for Saudi Arabia
- pack suitable footwear as you may have to walk long distances, and make sure you have all the necessary clothing and items as advised by your Hajj tour operator
- consular staff can be contacted on a 24-hour helpline in the case of emergencies during the Hajj, on: 00 966 501 00 4268